July 12 and 13
July 15 and 16
Tickets can be purchased at various locations...
Thank you to all the Ellis County Fair Sponsors
Need assistance? Contact the Ellis County Fair Board.
Contact Fair Board
We are excited to present the 2014 Ellis County Fair Rodeo. This year’s rodeo will highlight “Tough Enough to Wear Pink” on July 16th and “Patriotic Night” on July 17th. So break out your Pink shirts for Tuesday night and your Red, White & Blue shirts for Wednesday night, dust off your boots, grab your hat and come join us!
stock contractor will again be our friend, the tried and
J-J Rodeo Company from Lakin, KS, owned by Deke Jennings. The Ellis County Fair Rodeo will offer
added prize money of $3,000.
For buckaroos that are still less than 60 pounds, we have mutton bustin. Sheep and personnel will be provided by McClain’s Mutton Busting. This will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday nights right before the rodeo. Sign up early, at 6 p.m., in the SW corner of the rodeo grand stands (first-come basis). For additional information, please contact Justin Bolte email@example.com.
This year the Ellis County Fair Rodeo is proud to include rodeo photography by Lone S Photography from Dodge City.
2014 Ellis County Fair Rodeo Queen
1. The Miss Ellis County Rodeo Pageant will begin at 8 a.m.on Saturday, July 12 at the Ellis County Fairgrounds in Hays, Kansas. Check in is from 7-7:30 a.m. The rodeo is July 15 and 16.
2. The Queen contest will be for girls ages 15 through 21. The Princess contest will be for girls ages 10 through 14 and the Little Miss contest is for girls 9 and younger. (Age as of Jan. 1 of the current year.)
3. The winners of the Miss Ellis County Rodeo Pageant will be announced at the first performance of the rodeo at the Ellis County Fair, Tuesday, July 15, 2014.
Little Miss Contestants:
A. Are expected to watch the horsemanship competition the day of the Pageant.
B. Will participate in modeling of their Western outfits as part of the Pageant activities.
C. Will provide 2 Photographs, one 5"x7” for judging and one wallet size photo of the contestant’s head and shoulders and short biography on an index card. The smaller photographs will be included in the program.
D. Will participate in activities the night of the Rodeo, including riding in the Wagon as part of the Grand Entry Celebration, assisting with the 50/50 Raffle and handing out programs.
E. A Prize package including a T-shirt, tiara, sash and assorted other prizes will be awarded to each Little Miss Contestant.
F. Entry Forms will need to be completed and mailed by the June 15 deadline to the rodeo Royalty committee.
5. Competition categories for Queen and Princess include:
A. Horsemanship: In the Queen’s competition, two reining patterns will be run, the first pattern will be on their own horse, and the second pattern will be on a different contestant’s horse. Queen Contestants will also complete a Queen’s run, as well as a Flag run. In the Princess competition, only one reining pattern will be executed on their own horse. Princesses will complete a Queen’s run and the flag run will be optional but recommended. All contestants will draw for running order and Contestants will be given the patterns to run the day of the event. All contestants will answer questions on general knowledge of horses. Examples of reining patterns can be found in the Kansa 4-H horse show rule book, Kansas4-h.org/doc6685.ashx pages 36-41.
B. Modeling: Each contestant will model their Western Dress outfit. A short bio and description of their outfit will be read as they model. Impromptu questions will follow for all contestants.
C. Personal Interview: Each contestant will have a personal interview with judges. The Queens interview will not exceed 15 minutes and the Princesses will not exceed 10 minutes. The interview will cover general knowledge about rodeo, horsemanship etc.
D. Talent or Speech: Queen Candidates will perform a speech over a topic related to rodeo. The speech should be at least 3 minutes in length and not to exceed 4 minutes. Princess contestants will have the option to perform either a talent or a speech. The talent or speech should be at least 3 minutes in length and should not exceed 4 minutes. The talent or speech must be related to rodeo and time guidelines will be scored.
E. Written test on Rodeo Knowledge.
F. Photogenic, contestant’s 5x7” photograph will be scored.
6. What Queen and Princess contestants will need for this pageant:
A. Entry fee of $50.00 to the pageant Committee along with your entry forms. This will include lunch for the contestant and one guest.
B. Two Western Outfits: one horsemanship outfit and one western dress outfit for modeling, speech and interview.
C. Horse and Western Tack. This will include a western saddle, breast collar and back cinch.
D. Photographs: one 5x7” for judging and one wallet size photo of the contestant’s head and shoulders and short biography (75 words or less) on an index card. The smaller photographs will be included in the program.
7. Responsibilities of Queen and Princess:
A. The 2014 Rodeo Queen and Princess will be crowned on Tuesday, July 15 at 6:45pm. They will be present at the Wednesday evening performance (July 16) of the rodeo at the Ellis County Fair. All contestants are expected to assist with the 50/50 raffle on July 15 during the Rodeo.
B. They will secure sponsors for the following year’s pageant and help plan and run the pageant.
C. They will be present at the following years’ rodeo to crown her successor.
D. They should help present awards at the Ellis County Fair when asked.
E. Collect and bring a scrapbook detailing their year as Queen/Princess to the 2015 competition.
8. Contestants Entry forms must be post marked no later than June 15, 2014. Forms should be downloaded from the Ellis County Fair website, www.elliscountyfair.com, and mailed to Stephanie Eckroat, c/o Rodeo Committee, 729 Pfeifer Ave, Victoria, KS 67671.
9. All deadlines are final. NO EXCEPTIONS.
10. The judges’ decisions will be final. Judges have the right to dismiss contestants on grounds of improper conduct.
11. Prizes for this competition are a $500 scholarship to a Kansas college or post graduate school for the Queen (or she may choose a trophy saddle) ; a $250 scholarship for the Queen runner up and prize packages for the Princess and Princess runner up contestants. The Queen and Princess will receive a tiara and buckle and sash to wear at all appearances. All contestants will receive complimentary prizes. Little Miss prize package is detailed above.
Please see below for a complete schedule, rules and entry forms.
2014 Pageant Committee members include:
785-628-6073 or 785-650-7438
2014 Entry Forms, Rules, Schedule, and Additional Information